so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God 1Corinthians 10:31

Friday, November 7, 2008

The Well

There's a nagging emptiness. I am unconsciously searching. Searching for something to appease the sense of emptiness. Searching for something and then someone to affirm me. And I catch myself. I am searching for The Well. But the well I reach for will eventually fail me. The well I turn to eventually brings destruction to myself and likely others.

well noun ~ a spring or natural source of water.

water noun ~ necessary for the sustenance of life.

What well do you draw your water from? What is your source for sustenance?


Who/what do you look to for:

  • peace?
  • security?
  • affirmation?
  • identity?
  • understanding?
  • encouragement?
  • reassurance?

Who/what is your source?

  • relationships
  • image/status
  • material goods/food


What happens when your source does not provide? The quick fix doesn't last as long and your appetite becomes insatiable?


  • shallow, strained, and/or broken relationships with God and man
  • false self, projecting a perfect image, posturing for position and/or living behind a mask
  • discontentment
  • hoarding
  • compromised physical, mental and spiritual health

There is only one source. One source which sustains. One source which gives peace, hope, life, and light. Any thing and any one else will fail.

Thank you, Lord, for revealing my sin to me. Forgive me for drawing from other wells. Break me of seeking anything other than The Well. Bring healing to the relationships I have drained dry. Transform me!


John 4:13,14 Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."


No comments:

Post a Comment