so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God 1Corinthians 10:31

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Finding My Roots

Back during the 80's there was a television show called Cheers. The intro song was about inclusion~ "You want to go where everybody knows your name."

Acceptance. Inclusion. Belonging. Roots are a sense of identity whether through family or community that supports, encourages, and makes us confident in who were are, stabilizing us in the storms of life just as roots stabilize a tree. It's something I think we all seek. Some find it easily. Others struggle. I'm familiar with the struggle.

Early roots or lack of I think have a life-long impact. Holidays are especially a strong reminder to me of my lack of early roots. Seems every year I revisit and grieve the absence. I've felt guilty about it, expecting myself to be able to accept it and move on. As I write these thoughts, I realize it's worth grieving over and Jesus grieves with me.

What I am failing to recognize while being distracted from seeing the forest by the trees is I've been grafted into my heavenly Father ~

Romans 11:17,18

But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root of the olive tree, do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you.


Lord, allow your truth to penetrate and bring healing to my soul. Give me courage and strength to face the heartaches and disappointments of life. I praise You for the work accomplished through Jesus, giving your children, including me, everlasting roots that never fail or disappoint. And though I did not realized it in my early years, You chose me to be grafted to You before the beginning of time. So You are my early roots. I belong and am accepted, unconditionally loved and supported by You.

2 comments:

  1. I love you, girl. Your posts always bless me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a sweetie, Lisa! My posts are often times pillars built to acknowledge His work in me. However, as He draws me closer, I hesitate to write as my feeble attempts to express His awesomeness fall so short. Your encouragement is very appreciated. :) I love you too.

    ReplyDelete