so whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God 1Corinthians 10:31

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Silent Battle

Explaining the immediate sense of peace that came over my home a year ago has been difficult. There were no outward explanations. Yelling, fighting, animosity, and conflict? That wasn't going on. I still believe a third person observation would have thought what we did. Nothing was amiss. But there is no denying the relief the kids and I felt, especially them, and continue to feel.

I am not one who puts much thought in the spiritual beings in this world. Yes, I believe in good and evil forces. Yes, I believe they are in conflict with each other, overtly and covertly. But I wouldn't have believed that a silent battle was taking place in my own home...until it wasn't anymore. A silent battle we are now fully aware of most of the time when engaging with AJ, my ex and my children's father. The spirit within him is in conflict with the spirit within us. Not a word has to be spoken. Not an action has to be done. It just is. As long as he stays as he is, it will be.

It all became clear to me when I recently remembered a counseling session discussing my family years ago. My very presence is an issue, without a word said or an action done. Looking back at the time, it is true in that case. Living it again, it is true in this case

So, the source of the silent battle is removed. But no matter the circumstances, engaging with AJ for any length of time causes conflict. Ultimately though, the victory is His and ours. My life has played it out again.

Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4

As a side note, I found the next couple of verses from this passage interesting. 

They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. 1 John 4:5,6


No comments:

Post a Comment